Apply for your provisional driving license
Before you start learning to drive any vehicle such as car, motorcycle, moped etc you need to apply for a provisional driving license to DSA.
With the help of driverís vehicle license agency a new learner driver can easily get the provisional license. You can apply for provisional driving license prior to 3 month before you start driving. Normal age to drive a car in United Kingdom is 17 years and to drive motorcycle or moped is 16 years. The learner driver who is suffering from disability living allowance can drive at 16.
To get the first provisional driving license online:
- The learner drivers should be the resident of Great Britain
- The learner drivers must meet the minimum eye sight requirement
- The learner must accomplish minimum age requirement
- Make sure the learner must not be banned from driving for any reason
- You can make use of delta debit card, delta credit card, MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro to make the payment of £50.00
- Make sure you have last three years address details.
- Get the legal UK passport or any other form of identity.
- National insurance number (if you have)
If you make use of online services, you should agree to DVLA for checking the personal data including National Insurance number.
Driverís vehicle license agency verifies your details with the Department for work and pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If driverís vehicle license agency has any doubt or cannot verify your identity then you will be informed further steps at the end of application.
What do you need to know?
Different way to apply for provisional license
- Three years address details required
- It is essential to have debit or credit card
- Identification proof
The new learner driver can make use of the other service for applying a provisional driving license.
Those who canít apply online can make application by post.
They can make use of the post office service by completing a D1 application form. The form is easily available from the post office or using the DVLA form ordering service.
You must have:
Note: Fees in cash is not allowed to send.
- The original documents to confirm the identity
- A passport size color photograph
- And fee £50 must be paid through cheque or postal order to the DVLA
Filled application form and payment should be sent to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD.
Accepted identity documents for driving license application
In United Kingdom learner driver can make use of biometric passport and 9-digit passport number for the application of driving license.
What is biometric passport?
The biometric passport has the photograph and signature on the same page. It helps to prove as identity to apply for provisional driving license.
Note: No need to send passport in with the application
Biometric passport is just a type of identification if you donít have biometric passport you can make use of other type of identity documents.
You need to send the originals of these documents, photocopies get rejected.
If you have to travel in any subsequent month then please donít send your passport for the driving license. Try to delay the driving license application till you complete the traveling.
- Full valid current passport
- A biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- A UK certificate of naturalization
- Get the new three months bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used; however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
Any changes in the name must be informed to the driver vehicle license agency with proof and identity.
If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnít show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.
You will get the driving license and identity documents separately. You will get your driving license first and within two weeks your other documents will be given to you by driverís vehicle license agency. If you did not receive your identity documents within two weeks of receiving your driving license contact DVLA.
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
Please note that DVLA no longer issues plastic
wallets with photocard driving licenses. This
decision was taken primarily to help minimise the
costs of issuing licenses to the public. The agency
has also received numerous complaints from members
of the public about the size of the plastic wallet.
Consequently many drivers discard the wallet and use
a different way of protecting their license. Old
plastic wallets sent in to the agency cannot be
Vehicles you can drive and how old you must be
to drive them
You must tell the DVLA if you have ever had, or
currently suffer from, a medical condition that may
affect your driving.
Medical rules for all drivers
You must tell the DVLA if you have convictions for
breaking rules about your driving conduct and any
other convictions not relating to driving.